Jul 10, 2012

The Last Couple Weeks...

The last few weeks have been busy. Yes busy. Even though school has been out for almost a month now, Gabe does have work and I also worked all last week, so for some reason I feel like we were busier than we were when he was working during the school year. Maybe because we get to sleep in now and that he doesn't have to head out for work until 10am or sometimes til lunchtime, and he gets home at his regular 4pm or earlier. Then we are running around getting the house cleaned or errands or doing something in the backyard. The days go just as fast and I can't believe that we have already put a month of Summer behind us.
Gabe and I went to Medford OR the weekend of school getting out. We packed up Thursday night and left Friday morning, leaving the girls with Mom and Dad. It took us about 7 hours to get there. I had no idea how sparsely inhabited Northern California is. I was picturing green and trees and not the countless hills and dead desert like, (think Hemet) grasses that were there. I was hoping that OR would be a little better than what I was seeing, especially when we were about half an hour from the border. When we got to Medford I was pleasantly surprised. It was just like Concord, but with more hills, more mountains, (you can see Shasta from Medford) and all the shopping and things you need is in one place in town. They have a mall, they have a trader joes (coming soon) they have a Kohls, Target, Ross, Red Robin, and pretty much everything we have or ever shop at here. It was beautiful. Plus, all gas stations in OR are full service. We had forgotten about that. It was great not having to get out of the car and have someone else fill it up for you. And it was about 50 cents cheaper there than Concord. The houses are beautiful and the lots are big. Very nice place overall and we really enjoyed being there. One of the days while we were there, we decided to go up to Crater Lake and that was absolutely beautiful! I don't remember going there when we were little so seeing it for the "first time" was really fun! Apearently there is a "Phantom Ship" on the lake. Only one boat is allowed on the lake and there is only one trail to get down to the dock that it sits at and you have to be led there by a guide and taken out on the boat with a guide. Otherwise there is nothing else in or on the lake. And I am pretty sure I saw that little boat waaay way out on the lake.
The night we got home, and we got home around 6 ot 7 on Monday, we were soo excited to see the girls. I missed them a ton but also knew they were in good hands so I wasn't worrying the whole time we were away. We got out of the car and I was almost rushing to the door. There were some kids outside playing "Red light Green Light" and we heard one of the boys, he was maybe 8, yell at another boy while picking up a random penny off the ground, "Here! Here's a penny. Go buy faster shoes." We busted out laughing and when we walked in Sydney was all smiling and happy to see us. Sophie is happy no matter who she sees so it was no surprise to see her smiling at us too!
The nes couple weeks, it was back to work and me as well. I worked a week at Dr Blatter's office and we have a couple interested patients. There was an elderly women with late stages dementia and she kept saying, quite seriously and scarily, "I'm gonna bite your fingers off" to Dr Blatter. And if you ave ever worked with someone in late stages of dementia, they will do it too. They aren't kidding. At one point Dr Blatter did have to pull his fingers out of her mouth rather quickly and she refused to open her mouth after that.
Last week Melissa, my sister in law, helped Gabe and I run a couple errands, where we ended up getting 8 planks of redwood and some L brackets and nails and such to make a grow box in our backyard. We have a lattice that we got for a $1 off of craigslist so I am super excited to put that up in the back of the grow box once its filled with dirt. Make we'll do green beens or peas next to the lattice so it can grow tall and have soime support. I have been working ar clearing a lot of the dirt in the backyard so when fall comes around, we can throw grass seeds out there and get some grass.
A couple of my friends came over the other week for lunch and we let the kids play. We have a bunch of food and just sat at the table and chatted then we started on crafts and talked some more while the kids kept on playing. It was a ton of fun and also exhausting at the same time. Can't wait to do it again.
I am thinking of throwing a party sometime because there a ton of new people in the ward and we need a get together so all the young couples and new people can get together. Once the growbox is in and we have the backyard looking a little neater, we just might do that. Maybe I'll find a fire pit on freecycle or craigslist so we can do smores or just sit out there and talk too.
I gave my first lesson in Beehives two Sundays ago and it went well. I have this coming Sunday again. I think the girls listened and I had some participation but not much. Too be expected. I think I need top start by asking them what they did during the week and get them talking a little but about themselves then maybe they will feel a little more comfortable talking.

Anyway, that is what has been going on with us. Whats been going on with you?

No comments: